We sat on the roof and pulled out every nail...and this is only 1/3 of the roof! We might be just hammering them in next time..
What you are looking at is our first (hopefully the last) major problem. Rotten wood, eaten away by huge black ants! This shows parts of the roof that have absolutely no support.
So my dad used this handy tool to hold up the roof! I used the saw to cut some new supports while my dad installed them! I can confidently say, our roof is sturdy :)
I have to say though, I am simply amazed at the simplicity of a house's structure. With it gutted out, it really doesn't look like much. I have a new appreciation for how well a house stands on its own!
The roof is supported, but we are not done! The rest of the shingles needs to be removed as well as cleaned up. Then we will install new shingles and my dad is crafting up a lovely entry way!
I truly respect your hard work and dedication. Replacing a roof is such a dangerous and lengthy process. When our home’s roof became leaky, my wife begged me to do something about it. Although I consider myself to be a do-it-yourselfer, the job was just too much for me to handle. In the end, I had to call in a professional.
ReplyDeleteGreg @ Chavez Roofing
I like your pictures. It must have been frustrating to pull all of those nails from the roof, but in the end it was worth it! Roof renovation seems like a major process, especially when the old wood is rotting away. I have a new respect for how important roofs are for supporting houses!
ReplyDeleteIt was extra gross when huge black ants came pouring out of a section where we tore off old shingles! They were eating the wood!
Delete